2023 Ball Program by Kalia Kliban
|Round About Our Coal Fire
|Set for Spring
|The Shrewsbury Lasses
|O Frabjous Day!
Ball booklets with dance instructions will be mailed to those registered by May 25. Others can pick their booklets up at the ball workshop. At the ball, dances will get a brief walk-through and will be prompted during the first few rounds.
Saturday, June 3, 2023, Hermann Sons Hall, Petaluma
|2:00 – 5:00
|Ball workshop, led by David Newitt with Gary Thomas & Anne Goess
|5:00 – 6:30
|Dinner on your own, hall closed for ball prep
|7:30 – 11:00
|Dancing, with break for refreshments
Sunday, June 4, 2023, Sebastopol
|10:30 – 1:00
|Potluck picnic brunch in at the home of Tom Spittler and Kathy Woeltjen, 185 Dutton Ave, Sebastopol
|2:00 – 4:30
|Dance led by Kalia Kliban with music by Chip Prince, Jon Berger, & Michelle O’Connor at Wischemann Hall, Sebastopol. Registration required (see below)
Health Precautions For All Dance Events
- All attendees must be fully vaccinated, including the bivalent booster. We require proof of vaccination and booster, no exceptions. For those who have not already done so for the regular Sebastopol dance, please email proof of your vaccination and booster shots to Tom Spittler at firstname.lastname@example.org or mail a copy to: Tom Spittler, 185 Dutton Ave., Sebastopol, CA 95472.
- Appropriate masks must be worn indoors. N95, KN95, KF94 and technical cloth masks, such as Enro Tech Mask, Happy Mask Pro, Proper Cloth Mask, Graf Lantz Zenbu Mask, and Kitsbow Face Mask, are acceptable. Your old cloth masks will need to be retired for our dances.
- At the ball, a refreshment buffet will be provided at the break to be enjoyed either indoors or outdoors. You may indicate on the registration form any dietary restrictions and we will try to accommodate.
- Please realize that dancing poses a potential risk, even to those who are vaccinated. If you have a compromised immune system, please wait and come when you feel it would be safe.
- If you are not feeling well the day of the dance please stay home to protect yourself and others.
- Please avoid wearing any scented products.
Dancing Mistress and Musicians
Kalia Kliban, Dancing Mistress, has been part of the Bay Area dance community since the mid-80s, performing and teaching Morris, Longsword, American and English Clog, Contra, and English Country Dance. A true star on the national and international scene, Kalia brings her enthusiasm and pure joy of dance everywhere she goes. She has instructed at dance camps on both coasts, in between, and across the pond. We are so lucky that she is local!
Chip Prince (piano) conducted and/or played keyboards for Broadway shows in New York City and on the road until he retired to the southern California desert. Chip started playing for ECD in 2004 and was a member of the ECD band, Hudson Crossing. Chip has been a regular at BACDS Hey Days and other dance camps.
Jon Berger (violin) has played English country dance music in the San Francisco Bay Area since 1976, and is a member of the ECD group Persons of Quality. Jon is well known for his powerful music and is also a former member of the Celtic rock group, Tempest.
Michelle O’Connor (violin/viola) has played in an eclectic variety of ensembles from the Limerick Philharmonic to Class V Music (for whitewater rafting trips) for over 30 years. Her Masters is in Ritual Chant & Song from the Irish World Academy of Music and Dance (Limerick, Ireland). She lives in Castro Valley, California with her husband and seven birds.